Shayokan

Shayokan is a building with an irimoya style roof (hip-and-gable roof) built by Gen'emon Tsushima (Osamu Dazai’s father), a major landowner during the Meiji period. The building was completed in June 1907. The whole structure, including the rice storehouse, was made with Japanese cypress wood. It has 11 rooms with an approximate area of 919 square meters on the first floor, and 8 rooms with an approximate area of 383 square meters on the second floor. Including attached buildings and a Japanese garden with ponds, this mansion was very large, at 2,248 square meters. After the Tsushima family gave up the building after the war, the building became an inn called the Shayokan in 1950. A major sightseeing spot in Goshogawara, many fans across the country visited the inn. The former Kanagi-machi township government (later merged with Goshogawara) purchased the structure in March 1996, restored the inn's interior, and re-opened the place as a museum.

 

Period May to October: 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
November to April: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed on December 29
Address 412-1, Asahiyama, Kanagi-machi, Goshogawara-shi, Aomori 037-020

Fees

General admission: 500 yen

Two-site pass: Tsugaru Shamisen Hall & Osamu Dazai Memorial Museum "Shayokan"  General admission: 900 yen
*Child admission fees set separately

Inquiries

Osamu Dazai Memorial Museum "Shayokan"

Phone: 0173-53-2020

Mail dazai@kanagi-gc.net